Well, the shop I had visited in my last post is now the shop that I work at. And I couldn’t be happier! I will post more as I go.
Originally built as a 29er singlespeed.
Then hooked up to an Xtracycle…the XtraMonley or Garbage a Cycle.
And now as a 9speed pavement commuter/fun bike.
With what today is called a trekking bar…or Glen bar back in the 90’s.
I have completed the deconstruction of the XtraMonkey (Karate Monkey Xtracycle version) and it’s now attached to my Raleigh Talus. When picking up garbage, it’s still the Garbagacycle. But otherwise…what? A friend said Talus sounds Star Wars/Star Trekish. Maybe the XtraSpeeder. I don’t know…any thoughts out there?
To refresh anyone’s mind…original Project Balance post.
I had been procrastinating on this one. The bike is a smidge too big for me so I kept it on the backburner until now. A friend’s son is heading off to college, so hopefully this will get him to classes.
I finally found a front wheel to use. I also had some more comfort oriented 26″ tires to slap on. With the addition of a Surly fork, threadless headset, riser bars, threadless stem and some pedals, this baby is ready to roll!
It actually rides quite well. The drivetrain consists of 3×7 speed Grip Shifters, Shimano STX front derailleur and LX rear. The rear wheel is something I would have liked to hold onto. It has a Ringle 3D violet hub! I know, but it’s in my blood!
Well, on to the next thing!
Wow, I’ve been spending most of my riding time on the new Raleigh. Getting it all tweeked for comfort so it can become the new Xtracycle donor. I spent a bunch of time on the KarateMonkey version trying to tweek it and, well, still just too small. I am so happy with the way my Raleigh rides…it’s amazing.
So amazing that I have stepped back to look at my Crosstrail, that which I compare everything to, and made a simple change.
I put my old layback Thomson seatpost from the KM on. Perfection! So far.
Well, I have more thoughts rambling in my head, but going to collect them a little more and post later.
A 1989 GT Interceptor. Good shape, so won’t need a lot. I will pull all the bearings apart and hopefully only repack. Needs new tires, grips and seat. The grips are disgusting, I can literally stick my finger on one and wipe it off….it’s all gooey!
With the failure of several Trek forks with carbon steerers recently, I think people will take notice of the torque wrench. In fact, I agree with the article that not only all carbon steerers need to be checked, but all stem and steerers regardless of material.
If you’re into building and/or maintaining your own bike, you will find that there are two torque wrenches to have in the tool kit. We have the TW-1 for the smaller stuff. It’s scale is easier to read, so you can be more precise. Then we have the TW-2 for the big stuff. I used to use one when I worked on aircraft in school.
If an item you are installing has torque specifications, check them. There’s a reason for them.
And filed as things I will no longer do at the shop…work on powered scooters. Argh!